Thursday, May 29, 2008

Laksa Maker I

ta da! my first assam laksa!


Well I'm sure everyone knows about my undying devotion to a noodle dish called Assam Laksa. Eating Assam Laksa is a love affair for the senses, the smell, the taste, the texture, how it feels in your mouth and the satisfying aftertaste which is usually a bit fishy and oniony. However, I do admit that eating Assam Laksa takes some acquired taste, and some people I know wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole but for me, it's a food affair, I do love the Assam Laksa, and for someone who loves to eat it so much, to tell you the truth I do't know how to make it. And so my quest for yesterday was to learn to cook the Assam Laksa, I found the recipe surprisingly from a most unlikely source the Jusco J-Card member magazine "Pearl" May edition. The recipe was sent in by Chef Ahmad (I think) from the Concorde KL's Malay kitchen, at first I thought to myself, .. hhmmm it's hotel laksa then .. and was actually afraid it may taste bland and combined with my cooking .. I was just afraid how it might all turn out, well all that second guessing couldn't top off my cooking skills or shall I say lack-off .. and yes, the recipe was easy enough, the process required included only boiling, blending and boiling again to make the broth.




Next it only involved the mis-en-place for the garnishing and boiling the laksa beras (I used this instead of the usual glass noodles type, coz I'm from Kedah, so Laksa Beras just does it for me)


Boiling the broth took around 30-40 mins, and then it was salt to taste and voila it was ready to served :)




For a first attempt I must say it was rather ok, and I'm as pleased as a peach! Of course, I have to thank both Vicky & Ammu for helping out and for cheering me on while I cooked, coz like I said I'm not much of a cook, and need all the help I can get :)




In my excitement I forgot to take photos *slaps forehead*, but there's leftovers so guess what we're having for dinner tonight .. *grin*




Now I can make my own Assam Laksa, I'll probably won't attempt Amy Beh's more complicated version of the Assam Laksa recipe but will stick to Chef Ahmad's recipe coz it's just so easy and my cooking skill still remains in the novice category, and I don't see it improving anytime soon.




But hey, yay!! I can cook Assam Laksa *skips off while singing a ditty*




No comments: