Monday, March 05, 2007

Bobby Soul Live!


This year’s annual dinner affair was certainly memorable and making it harder for me to plan for next year, how the heck am I gonna top this year’s show. I was the MC for the night and on that afternoon itself my boss called to say that he’s invited Bobby Soul of The Platters to perform! I was like *what!* To top it off there's also a live lion dance to bless the logo after the launch. How's zat, I think my team and I did a heck of a good job pulling the whole show together, so last minute!

Like many in my generation we’ve only heard of The Platters but hardly know anything about them, so I did a quick google so that I can introduce him to the audience properly! I mean he is a celeb, in his own right, right?

To cut it short it certainly was a pleasure hearing the sweet vocal tones of the Platters Mr. Bobby Soul!

This was what I googled up, Mr Bobby Soul began his career in the 50's as a solo artist for a while, then as lead vocalist in a few groups. In 1967, Bobby was asked by someone in a club he was performing, if he would consider working for another group. The person was very impressed with Bobby's voice and wide vocal range of bass, tenor, lead and even falsetto. Bobby accepted the job as a stand in vocalist and began working with the original Platters. Since the early 80's Bobby has been back to his solo career, having toured Japan, the Philippines and across Canada and the US. He has made Toronto his home base for about ten years and has a CD out. The crowd enjoyed his shows at the festival and the memories he invoked singing songs like Only You, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, Twilight Time and so many more.

Bobby performed like 16 songs on Friday and the “older” crowd certainly enjoyed his performance, I was kinda blown away, coz he still sings strong for a gentleman his age! It was all very reminience of yesteryears and quite fun! Me & Vicky even got a photo-op with him, thanks to Danny our photographer!

Anyways the man himself was very nice, no airs about him whatsoever, I kinda didn’t like the way his “handlers” were handling him, and if you’re reading this I think you have gotta take a crash course in Manners & Etiquette lady c’mon now!

To Bobby, Good luck in all your charitable endeavours in Asia and it was a pleasure for me & Vicky to meet you!

No comments: